Last updated Nov 23. 2008

 This is a 140 horse 1965 engine - very low miles since rebuild . The engine is in EXCELLENT condition, having undergone as much inspection as is possible without a complete teardown, and having seen the engine in operation in the "host vehicle". I intend to fly it "as is", assuming it proves up to the task on the test stand. Extensive ground testing is planned. Pictures of the "torque stand" are coming shortly and dyno test results will be posted. An IVO Magnum ground adjustable prop was initially used as the load cell for the "dyno". After degreeing the camshaft and finding it is installed 4 degrees retarded (Powerglide crank gear installed) and running some simulations, we may advance the camshaft one tooth, gaining better than 5HP at the speed range we will be operating in. We are counting on just better than 160 ft lbs torque at 3200 RPM, which would translate to some 97 HP

As of June 14, 2004 the IVO MAGNUM has been replaced with a smaller IVO 3 blade, at 64 inches. We have confirmed 160 ft lbs at 3200 RPM

We have obtained a 68" Warp Drive prop of the type generally used on a William Wynne conversion on planes like the Pietenpol and other  relatively slow and draggy planes. The engine has not yet been run with this prop, and we have installed a shorter hub/extension to reduce stresses on the (stock factory nitrided) crankshaft.

The Pegazair 100 has been flown with 65 and 85 HP engines. I'll be happy with a useable 90, and ecstatic with 100 plus.

June 16, 2001 was a beautiful day, cooler than it had been all week, so we decided to get some shop work done - and started welding up the set of headers.

 

The engine is inverted on the test stand for exhaust assembly. Headers are 180 degree design of stainless steel 1.25" mandrel bent tubing bent by Gary Wolf, TIG welded by Clarence Martens. Now comes the fun - the collectors!!! Gary made the primary collectors, and we made up the secondary.

 

Following are several pictures of the intake and rear starter installed with top cover replaced with Aluminum plate.

 

Notice the epoxy motorcycle coil I am evaluating.

The stock distributor houses a pair of Mitsubishi electronic ignitions.

The rear starter setup uses a 1988 Nissan Micra Automatic flexplate and Chrysler Laser Turbo starter -

 no case modifications - cranks like a trooper

The carb is a Tillotson HD from a large older snowmobile engine.

Info on this carb Here and more pictures of the carb and modifications as installed on the CorvAir here.

 

Carb heat control unit with air filter mounted on Tillotson carb  (right) will likely require modification or total rework before installation on the plane.

Center section of new manifold (upper left, lower right)

One of the end bends and flanges (above right) and the semi-completed manifold (below)

 

 

 

Checking cam timing. The new intake assembly can be seen. March 2004..

The stand is now all painted, the prop mounted, and crankcase vents added. The engine has turned the 72 inch IVO at 2400 RPM. Gets a bit noisy - prop is as loud as the un-muffled exhaust.!!

The prop has since been cut down to 68 inches. The prop is definitely too much for this engine, as IVO lists it for up to 200HP as a 2 blade, and 300 as a 3 blade. The prop has now been replaced with a smaller test prop.

 Here is a short video of it running on the stand.  This is with the "little" IVO prop on the extension, the new intake, and the exhaust running open headers. Results indicate 160 ft lbs at 3000 rpm for an honest 90 hp.  Much higher RPM is not useable with a large prop but 3300 rpm would make it 100hp and LOUD!!!

I now also have the alternator pulleys finished and the alternator pretty well mounted - pictures to follow.

Video of Corvair Engine running on Dyno Stand

Go to AirFrame

Go to Engine Mount

Return to Clare Squared